About Dining Services at Harley
We know that a healthy lunch is important for a child’s cognitive and physical growth. The Harley lunch program serves as a model for public and private schools alike. Among other healthy choices offered, the school serves only whole-grain breads and pasta, fresh vegetables and fruits, only 100% fruit juices, low-fat milk, brown rice, yogurt, homemade soups, and a salad bar that features more than 30 different items daily. Morning snack features fresh fruits and water. Our ingredients are locally sourced and mostly organic.
[add_eventon_el number_of_months=”12″ event_count=”10″ hide_mult_occur=”yes” hide_so=”yes” ux_val=”3″ show_et_ft_img=”yes” add_eventon tiles=”yes” tile_count=”5″ tile_bg=”1″]
Black Bean Salad To feed a family of 4 1-1/2lbs. Black Beans 1/4 bunch Scallions -diced 1/4 Red...
1-tablespoon chili powder 2 teaspoons cumin 2 teaspoons onion powder 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1/2...
Roasted Brussel Sprouts Recipe Spray baking sheet Preheat oven to 400 degrees (oven temps vary so...
A recipe for a delicious fall soup featuring seasonal ingredients
In Their Own Words
"A third-grader once came to me to ask for the recipe for spinach casserole so his mom could make it at home."
"Even the kindergartners like this."
Watch Our Community in Action
Harley celebrates the opening of the new teaching kitchen!
A place where students can learn to love making food.
Grade 3: Harlic Garlic Project
One annual tradition that ties Grade 3 students to the Microfarm is Harlic Garlic. Each year, Grade 3 students sell the garlic that grown the previous year (and harvested over the summer), and at the end of the fall, they plant another round of garlic for the next class.
Harley’s Lunch Program includes:
- Elimination of white and processed foods
- Use of only whole wheat flour for pizza, pasta, and bread
- Elimination of chicken nuggets, French fries, and other processed foods
- Provision of fresh fruit and roasted vegetables, as well as homemade soups daily
- Low-fat dressings and condiments on salad bar
- Low-fat milk and 100% fruit juice
- Elimination of soda and candy from being sold at the school
- Introduction of new menu items featuring whole grains and healthy options including couscous, wheat berries, hummus, chickpea, and black bean salads
- Homemade cookies only twice weekly
- Vegetarian, dairy and gluten-free options, and other special dietary needs can be met
- Fruits, vegetables and meats are sourced from local farmers
- Vegetables harvested from our organic micro farm
Homemade vegetable soup
Chicken fajita wraps with topping bar and brown rice
©2019 The Harley School